Saturday 5 March 2011

Getting Old Really Sucks!!!!!!!

As you all know, it's been just over three years since my very successful back surgery. Unfortunately, the surgery apparently only comes with a three year guarantee.

Sometime last November, I began to experience some back pain again - uncomfortable, but I was still able to function. Staring about 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing BACK PAIN!!!!~!

This pain has gradually worsened over the three weeks. It started out as back pain that prevented me from getting comfortable in bed at night. Every time that I tried to change position, it would wake me up. Then the real problems began - the pain started going down my left leg. Now, I am unable to stand, or to walk without this vice-like pain circling my left leg just above my knee. I am virtually unable to walk or stand. We had to put a bar stool in our bathroom so that I could dry my hair in the morning - can't stand long enough to do it. The only position that is half-way comfortable is sitting and that is completely dependent upon the chair that I am sitting in.

I was finally able to get in to see my family doctor this week - he thinks that I have spinal stenosis. This is a narrowing of the spinal canal which results in pinching of the nerves that run through the canal and is generally an age related problem.

So here I am, three weeks before our cruise, waiting for an MRI and unable to walk. I'm back to spending my cruise in a wheelchair and I am right royally pissed off. We're going to have to cancel 2 of our shore excursions because they require far more mobility than i can manage.

Sometimes life really sucks!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that the back troubles h;ave started again.
Best wishes that you will recover.Just pat our grandkids on the head, don't try to lift them.
cheers
Bill G