Thursday 2 June 2011

My Goldfish

This morning, I was sitting in the family room, minding my own business when i happened to look out the window - to see a gorgeous great blue heron standing in our pond............gulping down one of my beautiful 6 year old goldfish. I mean, these guys are 6 inches long. Not only have I become attached to them, so has our cocker spaniel, Emma. Emma loves to go swimming with the fish and they seem to enjoy having her company in the pond. immediately, I hobbled out the back door screaming at this devilish bird that he wasn't going to get any more of my fish.

Once I saw this "monster" eating my fish I knew that we were going to have to get a heron statue to keep this guy away, however, off I went into the internet to see if there was a short term measure that I could use to keep him away. As I'm reading an article (which says that once they find the fish, they will keep coming back to the same place for more) I happened to glance out the window - the heron was once again standing in our pond!!!


This time I hobbled out and stayed out, despite the 10 degree weather - both to keep the heron away and hoping to catch a glimpse of at least one fish so that I know we still have some. I froze, the heron did not show up again and Emma refused to look for her friends - not a good sign. Not a single fish made an appearance despite the food bribe. I finally gave up and came back in the house. I have been back in the house for about an hour and a half and the heron has returned twice more which leads me to believe that there must be something in that pond that he wants to eat!!

2 comments:

Krista said...

where are the pictures of the heron?

Nancy Downard said...

Are you joking????? I was too busy chasing it away. However, later today I will post a picture of our newest pond resident.