Monday 6 June 2011

Our House Guest

Jamie tried most of yesterday to find a wildlife rehabilitator to take our house guest with no luck. She was calling as far away as Windsor to try and find someone. This morning, it was my job to call the Ministry of Natural Resources. We were made aware that this Ministry could be very difficult to get a hold of - luckily, through Crime Stoppers, I have a contact at the MNR and I called him. He gave me the name and number of the appropriate person and I was set, I talked to a wonderful lady, Janice who gave me some more names of rehabilitators and I called all of them. One lovely lady took the time to explain why we are having such a difficult time finding someone to take our friend. Wildlife rehabilitators are regulated and regularly inspected by the MNR. If they have more animals than they are licensed for, they are heavily fined. They start getting raccoons in March and since the average time that each animal is kept is 5 months, by the beginning of June, they are all full.


Having run out of people to call, I called Janice back to see if there is a vet that they use to euthanize these poor orphans. Apparently Janice is not willing to give up on this little guy either. I'm sitting here waiting for her to call me back and the typing drowns out the noise of our house guest who is lonely and wants company - he is VERY vocal about wanting someone to visit with him - he does not give up. He will rest for a short time, however them he's back at it. He is adorable - both in looks and is personality. It is very difficult not to give him/her a name.

No comments: